Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My Job

There's a perfect opportunity while my kitchen-wizardry is simmering and while Emily is slogging it out at work to deliver some good news. At last I have found employment! Today I worked my first day at Kirkcaldie and Staines, one of Wellington's premier shopping 'experiences' and something of a dying - although some would say dead - breed of department stores in New Zealand.

After a month of applying to various retail positions all over the city, and Emily's eerily accurate prediction on Monday that 'this would be my lucky week', I got a call on Tuesday afternoon inviting me in to a meeting with the HR Manager of the store, who I had emailed several weeks previous to enquire about any available work. As it turned out, there was an opening on a team of ten required to staff the Christmas shop, a seasonal department within the main shop, and I was told I could start the following day.

My initial reaction is positive; the work is something I'm familiar with, and the people, wage, and role are all fine. I'll be working very close to home as well, on the upmarket shopping street of Lambton Quay, just five minutes' walk from here, and I'll have regular 9-5 hours for the time being at least.

Since it's seasonal work, it also gives us the chance to re-evaluate what will happen around February, and if we decide to go fruit-picking as we've been planning, it'll be one fewer commitment to worry about. Besides which, several of my co-workers have tried out fruit-picking in various regions around NZ, so there'll doubtless be some contact information to grasp at some stage...

1 comment:

  1. Hi James

    Congratulations on your new job. It sounds as though it'll fit in with your current situation. Will it mean that your income will match up with your outgoings? If so that means you can be self sufficient which is great.

    I hope that Emily is getting on OK. What does she think of your new job?


    Caroline is still in hospital but has been improving although the consultant cannot yet give us approval to go on holiday if she is allowed out in the next few days -we'll see.

    The decorator is here at the moment doing the outside of both houses so it's pretty frantic for me at the moment, what with dealing with them and dashing to Barts each day.

    How's the weather now? - starting to warm up I hope.

    I'll try to Skype you sometime.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete